Author Topic: parallel processing?  (Read 5316 times)

seany

parallel processing?
« on: June 10, 2013, 01:55:54 am »
Hello.
A Project about a Vector Machine using Parallax Propeller cuaght my Attention. Please see the page here: http://www.objectivej.com/hardware/propcluster/index.html

Is it possible to do this using digispark? I see that it uses  Attiny85 8 bit. There are 32  GP Registers. For the docus:

The fast-access Register File contains 32 x 8-bit general purpose working registers with a single clock cycle access time. This allows single-cycle Arithmetic Logic Unit (ALU) operation. In a typical ALU operation, two operands are output from the Register File, the operation is executed, and the result is stored back in the Register File – in one clock cycle. Six of the 32 registers can be used as three 16-bit indirect address register pointers for Data Space addressing – enabling efficient address calculations. One of the these address pointers can also be used as an address pointer for look up tables in Flash Program memory. These added function registers are the 16-bit X-, Y-, and Z-register, described later in this section. The ALU supports arithmetic and logic operations between registers or between a constant and a register. Single register operations can also be executed in the ALU.

My idea is to build a parallel machine and perform massively parallel data Manipulation as they appear in cliamtology. I am a Student thereof, and would like to build a simple vector machine using simple Hardware to assist my learning.
My question to the Forum:
1. since my knowledge of EE or CS is Basic, what are the things i should Keep in mind?
2. each parallax core is 8 parallel processors, however, using a larger number of Digispark and bitslice Technology might achive high-precision parallelism or?
3. If you are interested and would like to help, let me know - i am thinkign of collaboration as well - i wont be able to pull it all off alone.

Bluebie

Re: parallel processing?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 08:23:51 pm »
You cannot share registers directly between multiple digisparks, so all communication has to happen through SPI or similar protocols - this is a huge bottleneck. Also, a digispark can only run up to a maximum of about 25mhz (max atmel suggests is 20mhz), and it is very slow at floating point math, and fairly slow at any kind of math which needs more than 8 bit precision. You would be much better off purchasing a Tesla card and putting that in a regular PC than trying to use parallax or atmel processors to do number crunching.

airship

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 12:37:22 pm »
Has anyone used a uFPU math coprocessor chip with a DigiSpark yet? I'd really like to see a proof of concept project. And also have somebody else adapt the Arduino library to make it easy. And then maybe come over and pump on my chest for awhile!  :D

dougal

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 07:26:05 am »
Have you seen this?

http://www.ostracodfiles.com/mega/menu.html

It's a 16-core computer built from ATMega328 chips.

digistump

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 11:14:48 am »
That's pretty cool!

A probably more practical but still very cheap foray into the world of parallel computing: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/adapteva/parallella-a-supercomputer-for-everyone

I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of mine i hopefully about 2 months

defragster

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013, 03:28:40 am »
See the "Parallella" board yet?

defragster