Author Topic: Forum Moderation  (Read 3921 times)

Mark

Forum Moderation
« on: August 25, 2013, 12:52:19 pm »
Eric
You have my full support on the recent discussion shutdown (bootloader).

Whilst I didn't view the content, I can see the context of why it was moderated.

I have seen personal attacks on other sites, and it doesn't do anything to help ANYONE.
It puts more people off, than it encourages, so I support the stance you've taken.

While the USA may support the right to free speech, this is a forum for Digispark and Digix, and is not public property.
Some examples were given to support the use of some words, which were quotes that were in public domain, and may be acceptable to some, I don't think they were being used in the same context, and therefore their use is not justified.

If you have found something is of poor quality then perhaps the phrase "that connector is useless" rather than "that connector is s..t" would be much better on an open forum.

Bluebie
I'm sad to hear someone has been disrespectful to you and all the hard work you've done.
Thank you for enlightening us with what went down, and your stance is perfectly justified.

Digistump's website is a safe space for women and minorities. I intend to make sure of it.

I'd like to think
"Digistump's website is a safe space for everyone. We intend to make sure of it." is a more accurate phrase

Mark

digistump

• Administrator
Re: Forum Moderation
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 02:43:01 pm »

I'd like to think
"Digistump's website is a safe space for everyone. We intend to make sure of it." is a more accurate phrase

That is certainly our aim exactly - thanks for your support Mark!

Perhaps, the easiest way to sum up my official stance on moderation is that as long as things stay respectful I won't step in. If someone is disrespectful to others then their posts will be moderated and they may be banned, regardless of their excuses, reasons, etc. This is a technical community and a friendly one, it is also an open, but ultimately privately owned one - there are plenty of places on the internet for exercising disrespectful speech, this isn't one of them.

Thanks to our 99.99999999% of members who are respectful!

dougal

Re: Forum Moderation
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 12:33:06 pm »
Dang, I'm certainly sorry to see that this even had to come up here. I gladly support Erik's decision to nip bad behavior in the bud.

Bluebie (and anybody else affected) -- so sorry to learn that you were subjected to such ill behavior. I'm sure I speak for just about everybody else here in saying that you are a valued asset to this community. And you rock!