Author Topic: USB Morse Code fun  (Read 4459 times)

Lami

USB Morse Code fun
« on: March 27, 2013, 05:21:52 pm »
I was kind of bored, so I whipped up small Morse Code interpretter. It needs no additional components, just Digispark itself. It flashes Morse Code using builtin LED. Source code is well documented. As I am rather new in hardware computing, any feedback is appreciated.

There is Python script included (DigiMorse.py), expects to have Arduino "usbdevice" folder in the same folder the script resides. Please copy this folder from DigiBlink example (USB controlled RGB led). The DigiMorse.py script is actually modified DigiBlink.py. Mac and Linux users should not have problems running Python sripts (having libusb installed). I can't say much about Windows though.

Usage: ./DigiMorse.py your message here
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 05:33:11 pm by Lami »

gogol

Re: USB Morse Code fun
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 04:43:21 am »
Hi,

i posted something similar (digistump only) here: http://digistump.com/board/index.php/topic,752.msg2667.html#msg2667

I only used another way to encode the morse characters, so they could have (theoretical up to 7 bits).  Instead of a length, i just decide that the all bits, having the same value as the first are skipped.

Looks like, we had the same idea, to start with an digisparc only program!

Greetings

gogol

Lami

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 01:30:56 pm »
I only used another way to encode the morse characters, so they could have (theoretical up to 7 bits).  Instead of a length, i just decide that the all bits, having the same value as the first are skipped.
It is rather clever method for encoding morse code, great idea! I tried search first, to see if someone did not post anything like it here, but obviously, my search-fu was not good enough to find your post. This forum is quite resourceful!

mrbell321

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 01:38:35 pm »
How funny.  I think morse code must be ingrained in this sort of thing. I just wrote my own.  I came up w/ the same kind of encoding, but I only got around to doing letters and I put mine in a class(cause I like classes)
Also, mine just flashes the LED.

I wish I had looked on here first and I wouldn't have had to write this.