Author Topic: Cannot install unsigned Digistump drivers on Windows XP  (Read 62 times)

DuinoSoar

Cannot install unsigned Digistump drivers on Windows XP
« on: January 07, 2019, 07:57:16 pm »
I just received a Digispark-compatible ATtiny85 board (one with a micro USB connector).

I successfully installed the Digispark AVR board definitions (json) file in the Arduino IDE.  I then downloaded the Digistump.Drivers.zip file from GitHub for the Windows USB driver software.  But when I tried running the DPInst.exe file, it failed to install all four components with the status message, "Install Failed (Unsigned)" for each component.

I am running 32-bit Windows XP "Home Edition" (SP3) on an older Acer netbook that I use for Arduino development.  The Arduino IDE version is the recently released 1.8.8.

I attempted the driver installation with admin privileges and I ensured that "Driver Signing Options" was set to "Ignore ..." in the Windows System Properties "Hardware" tab.

I also checked the registry key "HKLM/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Driver Signing/Policy" and the value is set to 00 (as set by the "Driver Signing Options" mentioned in the previous paragraph).  (I verified I had the correct registry key by observing the value change to 02 when I set the dialogue option to "Block...", then changed the option back to "Ignore..." and saw the registry value change back to 00.)

What else can I try?

Is there some other Windows XP setting I need to make, in order to allow unsigned device driver installation?

Is there a signed version of the Digistump Drivers available?

Until I get the USB drivers working on my Win XP netbook, i have a worthless piece of junque.

VERY disappointing that Digistump chose to not obtain a signature certificate to sign their device drivers.  :(

DuinoSoar

Re: Cannot install unsigned Digistump drivers on Windows XP
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2019, 06:29:36 am »
Further to my previous posting, it seems, from what I have read online, that there once was a "Digispark IDE" that had the Windows drivers included (for the Micronucleus USB programmer).  However, I could not find this specific IDE on the Digistump web site - it seems that one must now only use the Arduino IDE (which does not include the device driver).

Is there somewhere that I can find the old Digispark IDE to use instead of the Arduinoe IDE?

Alternatively, is there any source code available for the device driver so I can modify and/or write my own driver to use with Arduino IDE?

I would really like to get this Digispark board going for a specific small project that I have in mind, but the board is simply a FUPOS until I can find a way to program it from my Windows XP netbook.

:(