Author Topic: Cannot install unsigned Digistump drivers on Windows XP  (Read 288 times)

DuinoSoar

Cannot install unsigned Digistump drivers on Windows XP
« on: January 07, 2019, 07:57:16 pm »
I just received a Digispark-compatible ATtiny85 board (one with a micro USB connector).

I successfully installed the Digispark AVR board definitions (json) file in the Arduino IDE.  I then downloaded the Digistump.Drivers.zip file from GitHub for the Windows USB driver software.  But when I tried running the DPInst.exe file, it failed to install all four components with the status message, "Install Failed (Unsigned)" for each component.

I am running 32-bit Windows XP "Home Edition" (SP3) on an older Acer netbook that I use for Arduino development.  The Arduino IDE version is the recently released 1.8.8.

I attempted the driver installation with admin privileges and I ensured that "Driver Signing Options" was set to "Ignore ..." in the Windows System Properties "Hardware" tab.

I also checked the registry key "HKLM/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Driver Signing/Policy" and the value is set to 00 (as set by the "Driver Signing Options" mentioned in the previous paragraph).  (I verified I had the correct registry key by observing the value change to 02 when I set the dialogue option to "Block...", then changed the option back to "Ignore..." and saw the registry value change back to 00.)

What else can I try?

Is there some other Windows XP setting I need to make, in order to allow unsigned device driver installation?

Is there a signed version of the Digistump Drivers available?

Until I get the USB drivers working on my Win XP netbook, i have a worthless piece of junque.

VERY disappointing that Digistump chose to not obtain a signature certificate to sign their device drivers.  :(

DuinoSoar

Re: Cannot install unsigned Digistump drivers on Windows XP
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2019, 06:29:36 am »
Further to my previous posting, it seems, from what I have read online, that there once was a "Digispark IDE" that had the Windows drivers included (for the Micronucleus USB programmer).  However, I could not find this specific IDE on the Digistump web site - it seems that one must now only use the Arduino IDE (which does not include the device driver).

Is there somewhere that I can find the old Digispark IDE to use instead of the Arduinoe IDE?

Alternatively, is there any source code available for the device driver so I can modify and/or write my own driver to use with Arduino IDE?

I would really like to get this Digispark board going for a specific small project that I have in mind, but the board is simply a FUPOS until I can find a way to program it from my Windows XP netbook.

:(

earckens

Re: Cannot install unsigned Digistump drivers on Windows XP
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2019, 08:36:58 am »

VERY disappointing that Digistump chose to not obtain a signature certificate to sign their device drivers.  :(
You can force Windows to accept unsigned drivers.

The reason to release unsigned versions is to reduce (unnecessary) costs.

After all these years Digispark still is one of the best educational and commercially interesting boards on the controller market.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 08:39:50 am by earckens »