Author Topic: OakCLI shows "No devices found" from particle cloud  (Read 6498 times)

MrGlass

OakCLI shows "No devices found" from particle cloud
« on: March 20, 2016, 03:49:14 pm »
After my issues earlier today, I managed to connect to my oak & setup my wifi network. I never got a success screen, but there is a new ESP on my wifi network & the boards LED keeps doing 3 quick blinks.

I moved on to setting up my IDE, but the CLI tool to setup my particle account/board keeps saying "No devices available."

I've tried going through the initial wifi setup again but cant get it to work at all anymore.

Any ideas?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 03:52:51 pm by MrGlass »

atkulp

Re: OakCLI shows "No devices found" from particle cloud
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2016, 01:14:52 pm »
This is the same thing I'm seeing.  No responses to my thread.  I hope someone offers some advice!

digistump

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2016, 01:55:50 pm »
if you connect to the oak's AP and go to 192.168.0.1/particle in your browser what does it say?

MrGlass

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2016, 05:12:50 pm »
if you connect to the oak's AP and go to 192.168.0.1/particle in your browser what does it say?

'Connected'
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 05:51:05 pm by MrGlass »

digistump

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2016, 06:00:40 pm »
Please try:

Connect to your Oak's AP and go to 192.168.0.1/device-id - copy the device id

Reconnect to the internet (leaving the Oak powered on)

Go to build.particle.io (the ide won't work yet, but the device tools do)

Login

go to devices, add device, enter that Id

See if it works then

MrGlass

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2016, 06:11:42 pm »
It worked! Was able to select my oak & arduino IDE didnt give me any errors. Waiting for my sketch to run on the Oak but it seems this issue was fixed.

One important note for future readers: I needed to disconnect from the acorn wifi hotspot to add the oak on particle cloud. (i had been using my phone to connect to the oak & my desktop to setup particle, and it wouldn't work).

MrGlass

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2016, 06:43:38 pm »
Spoke too soon :( My sketch never made it to the oak, and when I tried compiling again I get a new message "Error : Selected device is no longer available on this account, please run this tool from the command line to select a device."

defragster

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2016, 08:13:45 pm »
my 6 oaks came today - two went through the process to triple blink.  The other four appeared to process the initial Particle update - but no 3blink.

None of the six show on my particle account , beside the beta unit I got registered on 2/25.

Following these steps on one of my 3blink units I connected to it and I get no Default Gateway in (windows) IPCONFIG for me to connect to follow these any farther.

Five more units and my Beta to step through.

Same results on both 3blink units, my prior Beta, and the first of 4 'updated' blinking units: Connect to SSID and it offers no default gateway?

Booted all 7 devices: Only ONE gave a local IP and GATEWAY address ( not one of the 3blink units ). 

On that one trying to connect to 192.168.0.1 [ or 0.2 ] to IP, /particle or /device-id all gave nothing on my windows10 machine.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 08:55:41 pm by defragster »

digistump

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2016, 09:45:52 pm »
@MrGlass - when you get that error are you certain you have an internet connection at the time? - I've gotten that because I forgot to connect back to my wifi network after connecting to the Oak. Also - after you get that error can you see if the device is still listed on your particle account at build.particle.io and is the Acorn AP showing up still on your wifi?

digistump

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2016, 09:50:53 pm »
@defragster

The two that go to triple blink - at what step in the config did they give you an error? Or did you get to "Your Oak is connected to the cloud"

I haven't seen any other reports of Oaks not being present at 192.168.0.1 when you connect to their access point, which makes me thing something else in happening with your particular network or computer - I don't know if they give a gateway address, but they should be accessible on 192.168.0.1 (never .2) when you connect to their APs - if you connect to the APs on the ones that updated what do you get in your browser at that address? If you can give me more details on that (maybe in a new thread as that is likely a very different issue than ones updating but not connecting to Particle like MrGlass is seeing).

Thanks

defragster

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2016, 10:15:42 pm »
It ate my post . . .

I went to try the :: http://digistump.com/wiki/oak/tutorials/local_update#local_update_tool

>> That worked on the first of my two 3blink units - IT REGISTERED!. 

>> But the second 3 blink get to 'enter local AP' then ends up with 'your oak did not connect to the cloud.'.

Going to retry on the first of 4 that looked to fast update, but never went 3blink.

>> No progress on that third unit either - it found the AP asked for my SSID/PWD - then never seemed to reboot or try - just like the second 3blink above.  It is better than the standard update - but now stuck like it is the standard non-local update?

Do I need to restart/reconnect to the LOCAL update server again after the first success? Has it reverted to 'Big particle Brother'?

I was not presented any error screens as I saw them - the tedious page by page process wasn't as exciting to watch as what appeared to be valid updates.  I suppose it was offering retries - I thought was because it was not sure of the outcome so I proceeded to the next unit without a full restart - using my phone and entering passwords repeatedly is ... painful.

I refreshed my PHONE URL and restarted.  Skipping units #2,#3 - I went to #4 and it is currently  updating ... AND PARTICLE REGISTERED !!!!

Started Unit #5 and it is underway . . . looked great . . . seems to have failed.  Back to slow blink.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 10:28:57 pm by defragster »

digistump

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2016, 10:21:37 pm »
Thanks that is more clear - the one that registered should give you a status of its particle connection at 192.168.0.1/particle - and should be able to be manually added if it didn't add itself.

The one that did not register you could also check that status and use the instructions here to manually register it if it shows connected to particle on that status page.

>>Do I need to restart/reconnect to the LOCAL update server again after the first success? Has it reverted to 'Big particle Brother'?

If you are loading the config app presented by the local update server ex) 192.168.1.105:8080 or similar, that version of the config app will always use the local server, so you can try it on all your oaks with that.

defragster

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2016, 10:59:23 pm »
I'm seeing it work better on local server with a page REFRESH and RESTART - I think there is some residual garbage between attempts?  This may affect the online as well if so?

Four of 6 done on local. 

>> Retried the one that was 3blink and it has failed another 2+ times. " Unable to connect to your OAK. Please ensure ..." Of course I was and it is sitting there triple blinking. And I did start with the REFRESH to local.

>> 2nd pass on Unit #3 and it was off to a good fast blink update speed . . . seems to have dropped out again - now on the pulsed idle 'factory' blink?
>> Refresh - repower- retry ... started, gave SSID/PWD ... Fast Blink ... with over 63 secs on timer I was watching fast blink - went to LONG HELD ON ... and back to a steady single blink.  No Triple Blink and no Registration.

All units being powered from FAST CHARGE port of a newly unboxed hub with a 4A supply.  4 of 6 have officially registered and two are being difficult?  Using same everything else from local server.

I just saw there was SPEW on the Local server window - see attach.

Re-retried the second 3 blink - it takes the SSID?PWD and then never leaves 3blink mode?  4 OAKS's registered today - about an hour each.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 11:17:28 pm by defragster »

defragster

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2016, 11:54:21 pm »
I got my six OAKS today.  I thought I had success on the Particle Server - but none ever registered in the end - just my lone month old BETA unit.  Two were left with a 'Triple Blink' indicating that they were Arduino Ready - but not registered!

Okay not happy to QUIT - I used http://digistump.com/wiki/oak/tutorials/local_update#local_update_tool

Ran the local server on my computer connected to my wireless router ( best to use a wired connect for server to avoid radio traffic ).

{ On Windows open CMD PROMPT "As Administrator" - then run "oakupsrv.exe".  It failed once because there was a second copy I killed with TaskMan }

On my Android phone I used the IP address specified within the command window, including the :8080.

While the phone is on WIFI start and enter particle info. It then wants to attached to the OAK AP, provide your SSID/PWD info and it should continue from there. [I put my Particle PWD on phone 'clipboard' to paste - my router PWD is easier to type on phone]

I'm not sure if I saw issues doing multiples - so I did a WEB refresh on my phone after going back to WiFi between units.  I got 4 of 6 pretty easy - two were many times retried.

I shut down my local server and repeated the above and they both went online and registered.

NOTE: On powering the one Triple Blink Stuck unit I did wire GND to P1 (see labels on board back - it is the LED pin) - that stopped the triple blink - but I didn't pull the wire until after the process started - that instant it seemed to wake and say COMPLETE - I hit Particle dashboard and it was there! [saw elsewhere the GND should be pulled after 3 seconds]

... back to my other computer in a bit to see if I can program them . . . using IDE 1.6.8 . . .

UPDATE:: First five took an easy update from IDE 1.6.8.  The one tough '3blink' one failed 5 times, I tried redoing the initial upload - it quickly said DONE - then took a couple easy sketch uploads.  I used the local to re-flash my BETA unit that had early 2/25 Beta code and then it took the sketch updates easily too.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 05:27:08 pm by defragster »

MrGlass

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2016, 04:02:56 am »
@MrGlass - when you get that error are you certain you have an internet connection at the time? - I've gotten that because I forgot to connect back to my wifi network after connecting to the Oak. Also - after you get that error can you see if the device is still listed on your particle account at build.particle.io and is the Acorn AP showing up still on your wifi?
Yes, I made sure to disconnect & I looked at my particle account devices and I still see it listed. Theres a little cyan circle thats fading in/out to the right of it in my devices list, not sure what the fading signifies, when I hover over the circle it says my device is connected. *Edit* And I just unplugged my oak to check, the circle disappears when its not powered on, so its definitely being seen by particle cloud.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 04:05:12 am by MrGlass »