Author Topic: Upgrading to v1.0.0  (Read 2367 times)

PeterF

Upgrading to v1.0.0
« on: March 18, 2016, 02:08:30 am »
In response to jwhendy's post in another thread:

@pfeerick: hmmm. I recalled the last time I set up my Oak after a restoration, the SoftAP site had a "6" at the bottom of the page. I just jumped pin 1 to ground and power cycled. When I go to the /info internal URL, I see:

Code: [Select]
..., "system_version":6, "version_string":"1.0.0", ...

I don't understand how that's possible?? Does that mean they changed the version on the server? Or that the OakRestore code is now v1.0.0? Looks like there's nothing I need to do at this point regarding firmware upgrades, correct?

I just checked on of my own Oaks that hasn't been programmed or OakRestored since 0.9.5 was released. It is still on system version 5, and the version string is 1.0.2. (I suspect from the changes Erik made in the commit that the '2' meant something else - not what we'd expect it to be - as r5 is 0.9.5). OakRestore hasn't changed - the file hasn't been changed in over 21 days.

So if you have system version 6, with the version string of 1.0.0, your Oak is up to date. I suspect that when you did your last OakRestore, the new firmware was up on the server already, so you just got the new firmware. And if your Arduino IDE is running the 1.0.0 board core, then no, you don't need to do anything... you are running v1.0!!

EDIT: I re-wrote the last part of this as I realised I hadn't actually answered your question!!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 03:27:48 am by pfeerick »

jwhendy

Re: Upgrading to v1.0.0
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2016, 08:59:49 am »
Thanks for that. Still a little confusing to me as I installed the Oak board via arduino board manager perhaps Saturday or Sunday. I think you're right, though:

$ ls .arduino15/staging/packages/
core-1.0.0.zip                 linux64-xtensa-lx106-elf-gb404fb9.tar.gz
esp8266-2.1.0.zip              mkspiffs-0.1.2-linux64.tar.gz
esptool-0.4.8-linux64.tar.gz   oakcli-1.0.0-linux64.tar.gz
esptool2-0.9.1-linux64.tar.gz

Double checking the core-1.0.0.zip file above with the one from OakCore releases:

$ md5sum ~/.arduino15/staging/packages/core-1.0.0.zip ~/Downloads/core-1.0.0.zip
4696b9c431dfa97071b33156706f1bfa  ~/.arduino15/staging/packages/core-1.0.0.zip
4696b9c431dfa97071b33156706f1bfa  ~/Downloads/core-1.0.0.zip

But then there's this:

$ ls -l ~/.arduino15/staging/packages/core-1.0.0.zip
Mar 13 12:42 .arduino15/staging/packages/core-1.0.0.zip

Anyway, not that it matters, but v1 must have been what I did from the very start (only started playing with my oaks on Sunday). Anyway, at least this is all cleared up! I was confused by the poll as it made it seem like the v1.0.0 release was something different vs. just doing the SoftAP site, at least to me. All one really had to do was go through the SoftAP process.

Am I correct that OakRestore does the same thing by over serial? I've noticed using it that my oak goes back to the long delayed blinks. After SoftAP it has the rapid 3 blinks. It'd be nice to have OakRestore match the current firmware so that one didn't have to re-program through OTA but could just associate it with wifi and begin uploading sketches.

PeterF

Re: Upgrading to v1.0.0
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2016, 06:28:00 pm »
Yeah, since you've got the core-1.0.0.zip, you're running v1.0.0 on the Arduino IDE side (otherwise it would have been core-0.9.5.zip for the 0.9.5 core, etc). Installing Saturday/Sunday makes sense, as I think it was put online around then.

As 0.9.5 was still in the beta stage, behaviour of the oaks is a bit odd at the moment. Post v1.0.0, I believe the Oaks will self-update their core as needed. Don't know how that works yet though - if it is fully automatic, or you update your core, and the next time your program it triggers an update, etc...

Reason you are supposed to do a OakRestore during the beta period is to ensure that everything is reset to defaults, just in case there is a sticky setting that breaks things (as well as testing the new user/first update process properly). However, if you powered up your Oaks for the first time and configured them with SoftAP on the Sat/Sun after v1.0 went live, there was/is no need to do an OakRestore, as you were already at the factory defaults state. Only people (like myself) who had been running the earlier beta versions (0.9.1-0.9.5) needed to go through OakRestore process before doing the SoftAP configuration. So for you it was probably just a matter of installing the Oak core on Arduino, and if you hadn't been running it earlier, you wouldn't have had to cleanup your board support. And for your Oak, you would have just run SoftAP to do the first-run configuration and firmware installation.

If I run SoftAP now, I'm running r5 (on my last Oak to be updated), and configuring it only sets up the wifi credentials again - it doesn't do any updates. So now I need to do the OakRestore to reset it back to the original factory state, and then I can configure and update this last Oak to r6.

Hope that clears things up.
Pete