Author Topic: Successfully firmware update, failed particle registration  (Read 9249 times)

driffster

Successfully firmware update, failed particle registration
« on: February 27, 2016, 08:35:51 am »
My Oak now shows as v2 and has the new blinking pattern but didn't register to particle. I tried multiple time to repeat the registration step but it doesn't register. I can see the Oak connected to my wifi rooter as active (guest mode), but it doesn't get registered...

Any suggestion what I should do?

Thanks!

Blitzfx

Re: Successfully firmware update, failed particle registration
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2016, 08:49:30 am »
Mine's doing the same as well. I'm assuming the new blink is 3-blinks then a slight pause (off).

Took a looooong time to finally see this message :P

-------------

Apparently if I just keep reprogramming the wifi user + password and powercycling it multiple times, it'll manage to connect to particle

« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 09:11:29 am by Blitzfx »

starwolf73

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2016, 09:20:40 am »
Have you try to change your router WIFI type mode to B and also change your WIFI channel? I had the same issues of you before and decide to share my experience to help others. If you are interest, I post a few trick on how I was able to do it. https://digistump.com/board/index.php/topic,2046.0.html ,
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 09:52:52 am by starwolf73 »

driffster

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2016, 09:52:38 am »
Yes I did, didn't update the firmware until I put it in guest mode. I spent 3 hours on this, I'll give up for now.

driffster

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2016, 04:36:45 pm »
I reseted the Oak with a TTL cable (actually had 2 around;), went back to v0. Managed to get the update again online (on my guest (no password) network), back to v2 and again it just doesn't register to particle.

Might be the guest network the problem but usually I am just not able to connect with the password protected network. 

PeterF

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2016, 06:06:00 pm »
Now that it has updated, try turning off your guest wifi, so the Oak goes back into config mode, and run through SoftAP. It will hopefully realise it doesn't need to update, but will finish the Particle registration.

driffster

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2016, 09:16:24 pm »
Well it looks like it fails to connect to my wireless network. It never appears as a connected device on my router anymore if there is no guess network once it is updated to v2.
 I tried both normal and guest mode (B mode), it actually connects ok on guest mode, I tried changing SSID to see if it actually update wireless settings
It still connected and it looked like it update its settings, but when I connected to my password protected SSID, it connects, but on the router still says guest wireless. And if I remove the guest after that, the oak doesn't connect anymore. It simply looks likes it is not updating the connection information and always tries to log as guest.

Edit: My other Oak, which was bricked with bad code, once reseted it updated properly with my password protected Wifi. Of course it was already on particle so there was not that problem..

« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 10:08:04 pm by driffster »

PeterF

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2016, 10:57:56 pm »
Rotten Oak! So when the guest was off for more than a minute - two minutes at the absolute most... did the oak start doing a triple blink pattern to indicate it had failsafed back to config mode? Meaning you'd have to log in to it's AP with SoftAP and reconfigure the wireless settings? If it didn't... something really wrong there - when it's configured wifi is shut down, it should fall back to config mode after a little while, and won't come out of it even if you turn the wifi back on.

At least your other Oak is working... but that doesn't help this one (other than to indicate that Oaks can connect and work on your setup).

driffster

« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2016, 06:19:58 pm »
It is always flashing triple sequence, it never changes.

I retried yet another wipe. The oak refuse to connect to my protected network. I was hoping to get some feedback by the serial link but I see nothing, I guess it outputs only when it actually connects to the wifi (which I saw the first time on the guest wifi).

I updated to v2 via serial, now it fails to connect to any network, auto or B only, guess or secured. To me it feels like this Oak doesn't save  its updated  connection parameters after v2.

PeterF

« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2016, 07:48:20 pm »
Ok, that's not good! Sorry if I asked this before, but so have you restored with https://github.com/digistump/OakRestore? And had Pin2 (P2) connected to ground? If so, you should see messages pretty much from startup (@ 115200 baud). You will then see it connecting to the wifi, doing it's firmware update, etc. You then have to pull the (P2) jumper, and restart it - not sure if you get any messages after that. It should then be operating normally again... unless it's being a proper 'lil problem child.

driffster

« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2016, 08:09:22 pm »
I put p2 to ground only during the actual rewrite (both restore and update to v2). Yesterday I did get through the guest wifi and I had serial output while it updated over the net. With pin2 grounded it is not activating the wifi (no light flashing), which I think is normal since its waiting for serial.

I got that output yesterday, which is identical with the output I had with the other Oak that is working:

OakBoot v1 - N,BP,2

START UPDATE ROM
WIFI
WIFI CONNECT
GO TO UPDATE
START UPDATE
HOST LOOKUP OK
PARSING HTTP HEADER
HTTP/1.1 200 OK

FILE LENGTH: 778096

START WRITING UPDATE - NO OUTPUT SHOULD BE EXPECTED FOR UP TO 120 SECONDS
./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+UPDATE OK - BOOT TO ROM

ets Jan  8 2013,rst cause:2, boot mode:(3,0)

load 0x40100000, len 3632, room 16
tail 0
chksum 0xc0
load 0x3ffe8000, len 352, room 8
tail 8
chksum 0x82
csum 0x82

OakBoot v1 - N,BP,8

digistump

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2016, 12:00:07 am »
What do you get when you connect to your Oak's wifi and go to 192.168.0.1/info

It sounds like this Oak is in some sort of Particle limbo, maybe due to a switch to the softap config app 5 days ago, you may need to manually claim the IDE from the Particle Web IDE (forgive me if you tried, speed reading these) - and then unclaim it, and then redo the config process.

The update 5 days ago should make being in a limbo state a thing of the past as the Oak and Particle do all the work claiming now without the config app being involved except to check that it is all good - this wasn't the case previously due to some changes we had to ask Particle to make to the claim process

PeterF

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2016, 02:19:18 am »
Hey Erik, do you have any pointers on how to do the manual claim - either a link or a how-to guide - I can't see anything when I had a quick look earlier?

Edit: Disregard that... finally spotted the 'Build' icon! wooho... more stuff to look at.

For anyone else looking for the manual claim stuff, when you are at the particle dashboard (https://dashboard.particle.io), you can click on the < / > icon at the bottom left of the screen which takes to you to the build online Particle IDE (or just go to https://build.particle.io). You then click on the crosshairs / target icon at the bottom left (second from the bottom). This will let you add a device, and enter your device ID if your oak is connected to your wifi, but didn't register on particle for some reason.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 08:31:24 pm by pfeerick »

driffster

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2016, 05:37:26 am »
here is the info, I didn't try manual claiming yet:

{"id":"d957040013e4a82b75daf520","claimed":0,"claim_code":"Q7TVjkUR0174k5t X4cifoGFBy70A9vmYxBPXHHP7xpW9steHVZXoq/ujGnC1NW~","server_address_type":1,"server_address_domain":"device.spark.io","firmware_version":0,"version_string":"1.0.1","meta_id":0,"meta_data":"","first_update_domain":"oakota.digistump.com","first_update_url":"/firmware/firmware_v1.bin","first_update_fingerprint":"98 66 d5 5c 3d 4a 49 24 e3 1b 72 8b 8f 2e 65 2e 32 2a 7b 95"}

I will update both oaks to 0.9.5 and see how it goes.

digistump

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2016, 03:36:55 pm »
Yes definitely caught in some sort of limbo there - the claim_code is set as it should be, but it has never connected for it to be claimed (claimed would be 1 and claim code would be empty if it had) - please try with 0.9.5 when you can and let me know how it goes.

Thanks!