Author Topic: Discussion of New IDE Release for All Digistump Boards (Digispark, Pro, and DigiX) - 1.5.8A  (Read 28830 times)

cboden

have tried out the 1.5.8A installer. Unfortunally it doesn't work on my Windows 8.1.: no Digistump under Programmer (as mentioned under "troubleshooting" in Wiki) and the IDE searches for the AVRDUDE in the sketch directory instead of the installation directory:

java.io.IOException: Cannot run program "C:\Users\gmuehldorfer\Documents\Arduino/hardware/digistump/avr/tools/avrdude": CreateProcess error=2,

Edit: same behaviour under Windows 7.
Edit 2: problem found. It's the file /installationdirectory/hardware/digistump/avr/platform.txt

Replace

# AVR Uploader/Programmers tools
# ------------------------------
tools.micronucleus.cmd.path={sketchbook.path}/hardware/digistump/avr/tools/avrdude
tools.micronucleus.cmd.path.linux={sketchbook.path}/hardware/digistump/avr/tools/avrdude

by

# AVR Uploader/Programmers tools
# ------------------------------
tools.micronucleus.cmd.path={runtime.ide.path}/hardware/digistump/avr/tools/avrdude
tools.micronucleus.cmd.path.linux={runtime.ide.path}/hardware/digistump/avr/tools/avrdude

@Erik: can you update the Installer and the Wiki (because I guess you mentioned there the wrong programmer) please?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 07:23:06 am by cboden »

rholt

So, I've been reading and I've done the following:
1) removed all Arduino & Digistump IDE's from the system (Win 7 Pro on a Thinkpad).
2) Installed the new IDE 1.5.8A (all went smoothly) - the program was created in folder:
 C:\Program Files (x86)\Digistump_Arduino
3) loaded up a program (simple "hello world") and got the same message as above errors.

the PATH in the error points to my "Documents\Arduino" folder (my Sketch Folder),
BUT
that's NOT where my program files are. Maybe this makes no difference.

also - in my "Programmers.txt" file, there is no mention of "cmd.path="
so i went ahead and put the line in.
first with the path pointing to the sketch folder (as recommended)
  and the same error comes up.
then i changed the path to point to the Program Files (x86).. blah, blah
  and the same error comes up - both time showing the initial path going to my sketch folder but looking for the \:
"hardware\digistump\avr" folders underneath the "Sketch" path.

dunno where to go from here. I don't want to move all those file folders from where they were installed to new folders under my sketch path - <-- i know this is not the right route.

hope this helps in finding a solution.

Russ from Coral Springs, Fl

cboden

the error is in the config file platform.txt (/installationdirectory/hardware/digistump/avr/platform.txt)and not in programmers.txt! Once you fix the error there it should work.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 12:40:54 pm by cboden »

digistump

• Administrator
This will be fixed today - when fixed we will update here

rholt

My apologies. started out backing up & editing the right file, but then got lost in distractions, i guess...
anyway - i did the change to "PLATFORM.TXT".
the upload went ok - but at the end of the upload i get the line:
"board at COMM12 is not available."

earlier on another post, i was told that when i plug in my DigiSpark board to the PC that getting the "connect" "beep" for 2 seconds, followed by the "Disconnect" "beep" and having no comm device showing was normal.

this is different from what i'm used to with the Digix and Arduino boards.

So my question is, if a Comm Device is not showing in Device Manager for the DigiSpark Pro, is that normal?

Russ from Coral Springs, Fl

defragster

@rholt - yes that is normal - refer back to this now and it should make sense and agree with that you are seeing:
http://digistump.com/board/index.php/topic,1618.msg7445.html#msg7445

The nature of the ATTiny with bootloader is a world apart from an Arduino or DIGIX with robust USB support. 

There is some of this detail (excluding Windows USB specific notes) here in the Wiki Intro Doc at 'Using the Digispark with the Arduino IDE:':
http://digistump.com/wiki/digispark/tutorials/connectingpro#using_the_digispark_with_the_arduino_ide

I just edited the wiki to add this note for the PRO:
After the 5 second delay when the bootloader launches the stored program, the USB device will typically go away (and may report a failure to install) unless the nature of the 'sketch' is to act as a USB device.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 02:44:45 pm by defragster »

cboden

great job ... works now fine for me!

defragster

Brought a fresh: DigistumpArduinoInstall1.5.8B.exe to a freshly built Win 8.1 PRO x64 machine I've ignored for 10 months [never installed Arduino or DigiStump drivers or anything].

DigiMouse example compiles, after selecting Pro :).  And it works   8), unplugging can leave the mouse in an ODD state, of course.

> Surprise? - No BLINK pre-load from factory (on my 4 PROs)?  It boots to perpetual bootloader 'wait for upload'.
> My first USB2 port resulted in 'Flash write error -1' - so picked another USB2 and it worked.  Just tried USB3 and the PRO uploaded!
> No included IDE DigiSpark blink example with pin1 set?  Went to 01.Basics (edit 13 to 1) and all four now blink!

> When I chose default install path to Programs - it seemed default open sketch was "documents/Arduino", not "program files(x86)/Digistump_Arduino".  This was a NEW user account and I had "documents\arduino\libraries" with a readme.txt in?
I uninstalled and re-installed and it then seemed to start in "documents\Digistump_Arduino" where installed

-Funny (Win) IDE thing: Open two sketches - compile 1st and switch to 2nd and the compile output after that goes to 2nd.
-Also saw updated MicrOledPRO with two examples!  Didn't try that yet.

rholt

Tried out the 1.5.8B version on my DigiSpark Pro this morning and got the Blink program to run.
thanks so much for all the help & education on this. I'll be moving forward with some I2C and SPI experiments throughout the day.

Russ From Coral Springs, Fl.

MichaelMeissner

I went to the Digispark and Digispark Pro pages, and went to retrieve the 64-bit and 32-bit Linux files, and I got 404 errors (file does not exist).

joelparks

Hi, I followed the install instructions on a plain virgin Ubuntu 14.04 box and the first thing was that there was no Java installed and as part of the failure message it offered me 5 different Java installs to try.  I tried apt-get the OpenJDK 7 suggestion, and now the . arduino fails:

jparks@jparks-S10-3t:~/Tools/arduino-1.5.8-32bit$ . arduino
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
   at processing.app.Preferences.init(Preferences.java:284)
   at processing.app.Base.main(Base.java:167)
Caused by: java.awt.HeadlessException
   at sun.awt.HeadlessToolkit.getMenuShortcutKeyMask(HeadlessToolkit.java:234)
   at processing.core.PApplet.<clinit>(Unknown Source)
   ... 2 more

Any ideas off the top of your head?  I'll probably try removing that Java and trying a different one...

Edit: I removed the headless Java and installed the OpenJDK and all is well now!
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 04:21:57 pm by joelparks »

digistump

• Administrator
Hi,

DigiUSB sketches do not compile. I added a few "const" in the two attached files, until the complaints disappeared  ;)

The echo example compiles and seems working now.

This is also fixed in our next release - coming shortly after Christmas